Re: (TV) amps - Ubu-era

not to delve into too much equipment detailing here, but as
far as personal experience goes:
i play a big 80s ampeg v5 tube amp & my band's new lead
gtrist first came down to rehearsal with a late 60s fender
deluxe reverb...
he plays a rickenbacker 330 & it sounded cool, but
predictably so.
next rehearsal, just for kicks, he brought down a 78 yamaha
single 10" solid state amp (don't know the
model)....needless to say, it sounded fantastic...especially
cross-referencing my fender gtr thru a tube.
he gets that sound i mentioned earlier....very dirty & more
on the high end, but the rick helps keep a strong low-mid
foundation....it has a very distinct 70s rock & roll sound.
i love it.
i had a mid 80s model fender solid state (one of the
"student" models with red knobs) for yrs & it also had a
very distinct sound...cut right at you....lotsa guitar dudes
hated it cos it couldn't roar like a marshall & clean, it
sounded a little sterile/thin, but with a modicum of
distortion, it had genuine bite/attack...