Re: (TV) amps - Ubu-era

At 10:44 AM -0800 12/8/00, eric s gregory wrote:
no doubt about small tube amps, but i've got a real
obsession with small solid states, esp. 70s models....that
transistor radio sound, slightly trebly but with a nice mid,
crackling & distorted w/out all the bombast & overkill of
marshalls, et al....you never hear that sound on today's
recs (at least i don't) or even live

Have any fave amps by name? It'd be interesting to check out--I'm sure a number of the solid state amps from that era would be _very_ affordable...

...listening to the pere
ubu box set recently, i really grooved on the final disc, a
comp of early cleveland area punk/avant rock & the gtr
sounds, particularly on the electric eels, mirrors, rocket
from the tombs numbers, made me realize how much i miss that
kinda gtr sound (tho for all i know, they were using tube
amps).

It is a great disc. (I love the whole set, actually.) I'd expect a fair amount of tube gear, but you never know--could be solid state. I love the Tripod Jimmie track, too. Hey, Gary! What amps were they all using back in the day, if you recall?

not to make this a tube vs. ss argument...merely ruminating
on the sorry state of guitar sounds on today's recs.

Tube vs. solid state, analog vs. digital, Mac vs. PC, this religion/ethnic group vs. that religion/ethnic group... Exactly the same argument with different vocabularies. The important thing is where you stand on the single-malt vs. blend issue. Or which single malt...no, never mind.

-Maurice

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/