Re: (TV) amps

no doubt about small tube amps, but i've got a real
obsession with small solid states, esp. 70s models....that
transistor radio sound, slightly trebly but with a nice mid,
crackling & distorted w/out all the bombast & overkill of
marshalls, et al....you never hear that sound on today's
recs (at least i don't) or even live...listening to the pere
ubu box set recently, i really grooved on the final disc, a
comp of early cleveland area punk/avant rock & the gtr
sounds, particularly on the electric eels, mirrors, rocket
from the tombs numbers, made me realize how much i miss that
kinda gtr sound (tho for all i know, they were using tube
amps).
not to make this a tube vs. ss argument...merely ruminating
on the sorry state of guitar sounds on today's recs.