(TV) Patti Smith in Copenhagen

Patti Smith came to Copenhagen yesterday, and she gave that performance "the award for must fucked-up show" of her five week tour, which is soon to be finished. There was some apparent problems on stage, especially when she was to play the clarinet; she also became disturbed by a press photograher: "take your shit and leave", she told him through the microphone.

I bought my ticket at the box office an hour prior to the concert, but it seemed that Vega - formerly a People's House - was packed, which could mean about 1,500 patrons. Much left-wing populism from the stage. Hand-shaking, calls for hand-clapping and singing a-long. Cover versions of "When doves cry" and "Jumpin Jack Flash". The band was good, but the guitar playing could be more imaginative, but Jay Dee Dougherty is undoubtly one of the best drummers around. The show went on for a 2h30min. She finally seemed to be overwhelmed by the audience's enthusiasm.

Haven't seen her since '95, at the Roskilde festival, but she seemed to be in fine form. Her voice was terrific. Now, in her older days, one could see similarities between her and and the late Jean-Paul Sartre - her strong glasses revealed a certain squinting that I haven't seen before. Those who back in '78 were horrified by the cover of "Easter" could see that she nowadays has adopted more common female shaving habits.

Leif J, Sweden