Re: (TV) The cars?

Michael Olcsvary wrote:

I definitely saw and heard similarities between the two bands - sparseness,
the Roy Thomas Baker production notwithstanding (check out the first album
demos); simplicity (not a lot of m7b5 chords in either band's repertoire); a
certain ambiguity in the lyrics (seeing couples singing along to "You're All
I've Got Tonight" was unbelievably amusing), yada yada.  Were the Cars the
equal of Television?  I don't think so, but they had their own thing going,
and "unconventional" vocals or no, they sold like hotcakes.

I think one has to keep in mind that for most people who aren't into music, "music" means "the singer," and there is a superficial similarity in the nasal and somewhat arch qualities of Tom's and Ric Ocasek's voices.

I also want to point out that the Cars were incredibly supportive of the
scene they came from - a lot of bands, in and out of Boston, got their first
real break from the Cars - either opening for them, being produced by them,
or recording at their studio for ridiculously low rates.  Which has nothing
to do with music, but it's nice to know they were keeping it real, back in
the day.

In addition to the already mentioned Bad Brains, Ocasek produced records or songs by Romeo Void, Lloyd Cole and the Commotions (on "Rattlesnakes"), Boston band the Dark, and others I've forgotten. His production was characterized by a strikingly rich, "fat" bass sound that I always liked - Romeo Void's "Never Say Never" being a great example (the Dark's "We Can Be Children" is another, if more obscure). Another case of his supporting less popular music was when he hosted a network Friday night music show, whose name I forget (possibly "The Midnight Special"), which at the time was giving hosts a great deal of control over who appeared on the show. Ocasek showcased Suicide (who were frankly a little too "out" for me at the time!) and I think something featuring Robert Fripp - possibly Blondie doing "Fade Away and Radiate."

And let's not forget that TV played on a cut on one of Ocasek's solo albums, though I can't remember the title right now and don't think I've ever heard it.

Plus the dude married Paulina Porizkova, lucky bastard....

- Jesse