(TV) Re: Tinariwen

On Jun 17, 2013, at 12:32 PM, Keith Allison <keith@thewonder.co.uk> wrote:

> On 17/06/2013 14:10, leif joley wrote:
>> These Arabs really
>> know how to put on a good repetitive groove.
> Amassakoul is a great album. There's also a cool DVD -The Festival In The Desert (an annual concert in Mali, showcasing traditional Tuareg music) - which features them (and Robert Plant!)

This is a topic near and dear to my heart.  Sooooo much incredible music from the Muslim world, stretching from northern Africa to central Asia.  (One could argue that surf music has its roots in Dick Dale's Armenian heritage, bringing a modal influence to listeners like a young Tom Verlaine, perhaps...so it's not off-topic.)

If you dig Tinariwen (who *do* put on a good show!  Kind of freaks me out that I turned down the chance to open for them...but the promoter didn't mention them by name.), then you'll enjoy these:

Group Inerane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv3BDgxuXh8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G3myv3jivs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I4vqDrnbq0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUt6M3TmgXI

Or...just go down the YouTube hole: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%22group+inerane%22

I like what I've heard from Bombino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Oxvc50kE8#t=322s

In a non-electric sense, I've been loving the work of Mustapha Baqbou: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNvgelQsZoE

Let's listen to Morocco's Abdullah Chmarain burn down a fretboard:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ZFTBFRI60

And here's the Mauritanian master of jakwar music, Hammadi ould Nana: http://www.voanews.com/MediaAssets2/projects/african_music_treasures_blog/hammadi.mp3
http://blogs.voanews.com/african-music-treasures/2008/06/25/the-music-of-mauritania-part-two/

Or, if you like, a mellower 18-minute session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTuGLC-AZzs

That's a lot of links.  But this is (mostly) electric guitar music that is incredibly beautiful and moving, and people may like hearing it.

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com | http://onezeromusic.com | http://yoctonaut.com