Thanks but more woes / RE: (TV) Problem With Vol Levels / Solution(s)?

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the tip.  John Goddard of the Television-Group List also sent a
response similar to yours see below (for the recordings I mentioned , they
were so loud that I actually had to go with -3db rather than just half a db!

I don't want to wear out my welcome here [but I'm a desperate man]; I have
another technical Q. for you (or/and the rest of the List).

Recently, my not free CYBERLINK POWER DVD application that someone (John G.?
again) was nice enough to secretly give me their registration/license code
for) after 6 months stopped being able to play most video file extensions
... in particular avi files.  (Apparently this is a problem for most
Cyberlink PowerDVD users as a Google search revealed.

The freeware VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
(for playing back videos and audio no matter what their file extensions & no
additional codecs req.), in addition to being free, has for years always
received very good reviews and feedback.  However, despite downloading the
latest version, when I playback a video or audio file with VLC the audio of
the video file (or the audio file alone, e.g., A Wav of 'M M') constantly
'stutters' (i.e., is distorted) throughout watching or listening.

I have read all the HELP pages, FAQs, have even diligently searched the VLC
Chat Groups/Tech. Pages, and have tried re-installing, but all to no avail.

Have you or anyone else on List ever had such a 'stuttering'/distortion
problem with VLC or similar freeware, and is there an easy remedy?

Leo