Re: (TV) Record reviewers are often stupid

Mr. Marsh is alive and well somewhere in Connecticut, if I remember correctly, or at least he was about a year and a half ago, when I had the dubious pleasure of copyediting a book he wrote about the Beatles' Second Album. I was thrilled when I got the project, because Creem changed my life. Alas, however, I have not been able to wear my previously treasured original Creem 1980 10th Anniversary Boy Howdy! T-shirt since finishing the project. He ruined the whole thing by being a big fat dick.

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:01:23 -0500
From: Ty Burr <tyburr@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: (TV) Record reviewers are often stupid

As I recall, that entire 1983 edition of the RS guide was the Dave
Marsh show, with absurd snap judgments and conventional-wisdom
trashing on every page. (Proustian confession: I liberated my copy
from the RS stockroom where I had a part-time phone sales job during
college, trying to talk mom-and-pop stores across America into
carrying "that Comyewnist hippie magazine." This was during Wenner's
coke days; he punched out the frosted glass in the lobby one evening.)

The 90s RS Record Guide threw all Marsh's stuff out and started from
scratch, with results that were less loopy but much more bland. I
kinda missed Marsh's snark, even when he was wrong. No idea where he
is these days.

Ty