Re: (TV) Rush To Judgment / Radiohead

Really...so you are equating Rush with frat rats and date rape? You know, I
usually don't care that much about what people like or don't like in music
-  it's a big world , but I think your image of Rush is completely in error.
It's a big enough world that someone can find something redeeming in the
music of both Rush and Television. This mail list has always always been a
place where people of greatly diverse backgrounds could sound off about an
equally diverse set of musical interests.
I don't think anyone has to like Rush if they don't connect with them. My
wife can't stand Geddy Lee's voice nor can she stand Verlaine's for that
matter - but maybe I'm missing your point? You mention cool ... well maybe
what was cool when I was in high school almost thirty years ago is different
from what what is cool now...? Then again, I think cool has a constant
quality too. "The Fire" is just as cool now as it was the first I heard it
when I was 17 and yet, that it is or was cool matters much less to me now.
Rush , on the other hand, was cool when I saw them in concert so many years
ago ( around the same time I discovered Television), but truthfully, that
cool does n't have the same affect on me now. Yet, to  me they were cool.
Now, the fact that this band has been around for nearly 40 years, through
bad and good times, and still has a *large* following says a lot to me. You
may never understand ,but I think if you listen to the mastery (and their is
soul in that mastery) of songs like "La Villa Strangiato" or the King
Crimson-like technical perfection of "YYZ" - you might understand why people
love them as much as they do. Rush does not equal Styx, or Journey, or
Foreigner or any of those bullshit bands. They are as enduring and endearing
as Zeppelin, Yes, King Crimson, and yes even Television.