Re: (TV) Finally

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:03:13 -0700 (PDT)
Micah <noahbrtn@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i48BP1PUoFI

OK, see, this is where it all turns sideways for me.  Have I got a stream
of consciousness for you!  The original song they're doing seems to be
"Indian Lake" by the Cowsills.  (We'll leave Sister Ray aside for now.)

Now, the Cowsills are from Newport RI, which is currently a hop, skip and
a couple of bridges from my home.  I am, as the crow flies, less than 1.5
miles from Indian Lake.  I remember this song vividly, as it was a national
top 10 hit by locals.  I thought it was cool as hell that I'd been to this
lake that they kept singing about on the radio.

Fast forward 30+ years (damn, I'm old), and I am playing at the open
mike at Billy Goode's in Newport, and at one point it was decided that it
was my turn to by Barry over at the bar a drink.  So I did, because I think
it's good karma to buy a guy you don't know a drink, especially when it
looks like it's the thing he wants most in the world.

Turns out to be Barry Cowsill, and he wasn't in a good way.  He supposedly
pulled it together a bit before he moved to New Orleans, but he did not
survive hurricane Katrina.  We had a couple of good minutes when I was
able to talk to him about records he'd made, and he knew I wasn't just
blowing smoke about it.

But that's not what I'm here to talk about.

I'm here to talk about the draft.

Well, no.  Not really.  I'm here to talk about a link over on the side
that was an even bigger WTF than the VU overdubbed on top of Larry & his
band.  I give you:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3ecDYxOkg

Lawrence Welk's people doing "One Toke Over the Line" - with Larry's tag
on the end proclaiming it "a modern spiritual".

Amen and Hallelujah!