Re: (TV) Beware of Sales Pitches

aye, well, obviously its just my taste !

Off topic, but I remember a few folk on this list praising interpol a while back - theyre playing here in a couple of months - anyone got an opinion - worth seeing, or DULL !! (in capitals with two exclamation marks!!) ?

From: Jesse Hochstadt <Jesse_Hochstadt@brown.edu>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) Beware of Sales Pitches
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 13:41:03 -0400

From: "Murray Ramone" <murrayramone@hotmail.com>

Excellent observations

thats why Tom Verlaine is cool and Richard Thompson is in the worthy but
DULL category

I like the fact that Verlaine still makes music and doesnt really give a
flying  f u c k  whether it sells or not and he doesnt do it for his fans
but for himself - thats the mark of a great artist

Whoa, whoa, WHOA. You go to see RT live, or listen to, say, the live version of "Can't Win" from "Watching the Dark," and then tell me he's "DULL" (in caps, yet!). I don't know how much RT cares whether his music sells or not - in most of the interviews I can recall, he's said he long ago realized that he's never going to be widely popular and is content with having a core of devoted fans. So I guess he cares whether it sells enough for him to make a living doing what he loves (unlike Tom, he's got a family to support), but not enough to contort himself in an attempt to be "popular." There's a big difference between writing material that appeals both to you and to your fans and pandering to tastes that are not your own.

Having said that, I know that, at least until recently, a good number of RT's fans would have quibbled with the claim that he is "very devoted to his fans." He doesn't condone audience taping, and has resisted releasing older material (especially live) fans would love to get their hands on. This is, after all, the man who said of his fans: "They're worse than critics - they're _amateur_ critics" - though I think that represents more an attempt to humorously distance himself than any real scorn. The attitude does seem to have changed recently, as he's released "More Guitar," a recording of a legendary live show from 1988 ( http://www.richardthompson-music.com/catch_of_the_day.asp?id=116 ).

RT's also one of the only "aging" rock musicians I know who has continued to work on his craft, so that in his 50s he's still getting better as a guitarist and a singer. (Admittedly, I don't find his songwriting quite as inspired as when he was younger, but I don't think that's from any lack of integrity.)

My guess, Murray, is that you find RT "DULL" because some of the more traditional song forms (from folk to Tin Pan Alley) that he's genuinely devoted to, and reworks with such skill, aren't your cuppa. But that's a matter of your taste, not his integrity or creativity.