Re: (TV) OT: What I'm listening to

At 7:12 PM -0700 6/2/03, Philip P. Obbard wrote:
- Pere Ubu, TERMINAL TOWER ... I've had this for years, but I've become
obsessed with "Cloud 149" suddenly

That *is* a beautifully twisted song. The guitar tone is so tinny, the vibrato rubbery, and the whole thing strange. Plus there's that "here she comes/there she goes" that shows up later on Dub Housing... You've done it, I'm going to have to go back to the Datapanik box.

Otherwise, I've been listening to these:
* In the car, Stereolab's _Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night_. Mostly sticking to even-numbered tracks (and having edited out the "Dancing Queen" coda to "The Free Design"), it's a winner.

* Glenn Branca, Symphony No. 13, Hallucination City. Bootleg--when's the official recording coming out? It's stunning, and the fact that it was recorded on June 13, 2001 at the WTC makes it resonate all the more. You can get a brief taste of it on his site.

* Charlemagne Palestine, Schlingen-Blangen.  71 minutes of church organ drones.

* Tim Berne, The Sevens. Through-composed and very Berne-like; the sections edited by David Torn are on the verge of a revelation.

* James Tenney, Selected Works 1961-1969. The early tape and computer pieces still sound contemporary. The deconstruction of "Blue Suede Shoes" was my reason for picking this up, but damn, there's some amazing stuff here.

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/