Re: (TV) Bowery Ballroom / Calling Dennis or Ms Secret X / Thanks for Deta ils Dan / Profligate Production?

Leo said: Although I have already 'ordered' my ticket
I'm 50/50 on showing-up given the uncertainty
surrounding how long/much Tom will play and
whether he will be just accompanying SY or
appearing with his acoustic guitar, or with
some small, quasi-back-up band.

True, but whenever I've seen Verlaine he's always hit at least a few highs, even if its just a throw-together gig. I think you should go Leo, you might miss something special. Plus, SY are pretty fine live as well.

Leo said: I'd like to get together with any fellow listers who
are going (who on list is actually going'?)

We should figure out a good bar nearby:

Leo said: Dan thanks a million--these details might put some people to sleep,
but I find them fascinating (where are you getting this info or is it your
best guestimate as a former aspiring engineer?).

Twin Reverb & Sam Ash Fuzzola (cheep fuzzbox once known as the crapola but now a high-ticket vintage piece) - pretty definite about those.

Studio delay lines/harmonizers - guesstimates - but I'm familiar with the sound of these things and I'd like to know what's processing the signal if not these devices. If you listen Pere Ubu's "Dub Housing" and "Art of Walking" they have some commonalities, small room echos, some automatic double tracking and backwards reverb sounds (on "codex" - slide guitar with backwards reverb, its a thing of beauty). The thing is, these production 'tricks' are all done as an enhancement to the actual clean sound of the guitar, not slathered in the effect

Leo said: you probably also would not have cared much for Verlaine's live-sound during his 1981-82 and ' 83, ' 84 and ' 87 tours which I was lucky enough to see. Granted, live he couldn't duplicate exactly these albums and their production/effects, but he came pretty damn close--you still get the really thick guitar sounds together with his icy vibrato. Just check out the double cd-r "Tom Verlaine: Live at the Ritz, June 4, 1982".

See, I think that Jimmy Ripp had a lot to with how the TV band sounded in those days. He's a fine rythym and lead player but also capable of some very textural, spacey effects. Say on the live version of "penetration" and the live intro to "Swim" he sounds like he's using a primitive digital delay pedal that allows him to sample a snippet of what he is playing and then hold it infinitely, allowing for stuttering effects or that "wave of sound" type of noise.

When I saw Verlaine/Ripp do their Music for film show in 2000, Ripp certainly provided a lot of texture and goofy noises.