Re: (TV) WFMU / A Few Qs / Shout-out to Scott Simpson

I must add that both CDs Fred Smith worked on to some extent. He did the final mix on "Cut the Gab" and just did some incidental work on Inwood Stories. I think him hearing my stuff led to me doing these shows with Television.

That story is called Grand Union, after the grocery store chain here in NY.
On that first record all but 2 tracks were done by the guy who played with
me at Irving Plaza. I never really intended to
put a CD out at that time. I was doing live shows with all kinds of people
when Mark, my music guy, Mark Suall asked me if I wanted to record with him.
So I would do the vocals first, just read the story into a 24 track digital
recorder Mark had at home. I'd do the vocals and leave it with him and he
would try various musical ideas. Many that were pretty much just demos.
Unfortunately I never saved all these demos as they were all different. It
could take a month or more to get a track finished from
Mark. I had a habit of burning the tracks as I got them from Mark and giving
them to friends. Probably not the best idea but as I said I didn't know I
was working at doing a CD release. It was just for me and Mark. When 6
tracks were done I
realized I had enough to put out a CD and ended up releasing Inwood Stories
in 2006. My new CD is different in that we did the tracks in 2 days. The
music wasn't written beforehand, I had cassette tapes of basslines and
guitar parts I'd written 30 or more years ago with me and we listen and
picked parts we liked and thought fit and recorded 5 them, me, my old
keyboard player from my band Pop Decay who happened to move by Joshua Tree
and her husband on baritone guitar ended up recording with me, which was a
blast. So to recap, the vocals were done before the music on the first CD
and he could do as many takes as he wanted.

Dennis,

I didn't get home until very late Monday evening, but I listened on WFMU to
a recording/archive of that show of you and host Dave Hill on Tuesday
afternoon.

I realize you wrote and recorded "Grand Central" many years ago (I still
have the cd-r copy of it you sent me in circa 2003), but I'm curious about a
few things:

1) Who did the music behind you on that particular story/recording? (I
thought they were very good?

2) How many takes did it usually require to get a 10-minute piece like
"Grand Central" completed? I.e., if you made a mistake/vocal-slipup while
recording could you salvage most of the earlier part and then later edit
different pieces together to get a seamless result? Or were you able to do
it perfectly on the first take? (Obviously, no retakes in a live
performance!)

3) Going back to the band/music on "Grand Central": it seems to me that
getting the right tempo is very important to your performance(s)/stories. I
thought the tempo on "Grand Central was faster, and fit and propelled the
material/story perfectly.

I definitely hear a Jim Carroll (of "Catholic Boy) milieu in your work.

'Funniest' segment for me was the store manager hanging the vomit soaked
dollar bills from your cash register on a make-shift clothes-line in his
office out to dry. It put a whole new spin on the phrase "money laundering".

Leo

PS: I wanted to give a shout-out to Scott Simpson (whose plane is probably
flying over the Arctic Circle right about now). He was nice enough to put 4
of his Velvet Underground recordings on his Drop-Box to help ease the
musical pain of losing 19 of my rare Velvet Underground bootlegs during my
recent out-board hard drive failure.