Re: (TV) Re:

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 09:21:17 -0500
"Scott Simpson" <SSimpson@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> It's maybe possible that Lloyd was unhappy playing a 40 year old repertoire.
> And weighed the consequences of actually playing a 60 year old repertoire.

Richard has spoken in the past about the reasons he left, and the lack of
input he had.  Out of the 3 studio albums, RL has a total of two co-writing
credits.

I have seen a number of musicians that are tired of playing their hits.
The most outstanding example was Marshall Crenshaw in his "power trio" phase.
He opened with the 2 or 3 songs people knew, played as fast as possible,
with open distain for having to play them.  Once they were "out of the way"
he then proceeded to play his new stuff, which was loud and obnoxious (but not
in a good way).  I left after about 4 of the new songs.  If it weren't for
the fact that Moxy Fruvous was the opening act, openiong my ears to them,
it would have been a total waste of time.

I know that Television did a number of shows this year where they played
Marquee Moon (the album) in its entirety; I can see that leading to nice
paychecks, but it's got to be hard on the creative spirit.

"That's one thing that's always, like, been a difference between, like,
the performing arts, and being a painter, you know. A painter does a painting,
and he paints it, and that's it, you know. He has the joy of creating it,
it hangs on a wall, and somebody buys it, and maybe somebody buys it again,
or maybe nobody buys it and it sits up in a loft somewhere until he dies.
But he never, you know, nobody ever, nobody ever said to Van Gogh, 'Paint a
Starry Night again, man!' You know? He painted it and that was it."
   - Joni Mitchell on "Miles of Aisles"