Re: More on TV & Smith/Smith's schtick / RE: (TV) Patti w/ Tom show suggestion

As an aside: what does "pretentious" mean? How do we separate pretention
from ambition? Was Dylan being pretentious when he made rock's first double
album? Was Marquee Moon pretentious? Does one become pretentious as soon as
one attempts to break any kind of new ground? What about Coltrane's
more free-form explorations - pretentious?

I honestly don't know what it means when used in this context.

Glenn C.