Re: (TV) richard comments-on-new-television-song

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Emilie <emilie.t.hsu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, that was exactly why I was rolling my eyes at your comments.
>  Though my off-the-cuff email came out sounding mean -- I find these
> long emails ranting at Richard's rants, well, kind of amusing and
> eye-roll-worthy at this point.

Fair enough.  I am admittedly pretty worked up at this point.

For me, particularly as a musician, this has to do with respect for one's
fellow travelers.  I think what Richard's doing has potentially detrimental
effects on the careers of the players in "Fake Television", and I think
that's unfair to Fred and Billy, who've given a lot to Richard, and Jimmy,
whom Richard has no real connection with but claims to respect.  That's not
cool.

Richard has every right to express his opinion, but (A) once or twice is
plenty, (B) the ongoing battle to claim victory in the "who invented
Television" sweepstakes has nothing to do with anyone's current output, and
(C) in the small world of people who care about Television and are online,
his constant presence as a critic, jumping on every morsel of new TV
material with another rant, carries more weight in the issue than is normal.

Some of my friends who are more casual fans of Television, Tom, and Ricard
are asking me what's going on based on the internet kerfuffle that Richard's
generating, and I really don't think that's fair.  I feel like Richard's
just pissing all over what should be a great career boon for Billy, Fred,
and Jimmy, through no fault of their own.  Basically, all the "news" about
Television right now, the stuff that people are hearing is about Richard
Lloyd, who's not even in Television any more of his own choice.  I just wish
he would let them succeed or fail on their own merits.  If it sucks... we'll
know.  We're big kids, we can figure it out.  We also all already have out
own takes on the early years of the band, so we don't need to have that
explained to us... it has nothing to do with the 2011 output of anybody
anyhow.

Basically, point taken, Richard.  So how about those RFTT sessions?  Let's
hear your take on stuff that you're actually still involved in.  Please.