(TV) Gang of Four/Television/Dr Feelgood

Article in Independent today about Gang of Four who I'm looking forward to seeing tomorrow night. A few mentions of Television in the article. Also intrigued to see Dr Feelgood cited as an influence but on reflection makes eminent sense:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/andy-gill-meets-andy-gill-1789194.html

Also a little bit of Google digging produced this interview with Andy Gill which also mentions Television:

http://www.furious.com/perfect/gangoffour.html

.............."Q: What did you think of the New York scene at that time?
It was a good vibe there. You'd be at CBGB's and Joey Ramone would be propped up at one end of the bar and down the other end of the bar, there'd be John Cale. It was great really. It was an exciting time. Q: What was it about that scene that intrigued you? ...I don't think they were particularly an influence. We were aware of all of that when we starting writing stuff. That first Television album was great and so was the first Talking Heads record. There's a shared interest in avoiding the rock-guitar clichi for sure. If you think of the first crop of punk stuff, it was all just tedious guitars cranked up through Marshalls. In the wake of the Damned and the Sex Pistols, it was heavy metal but faster and not as well played. Certainly Gang of Four, Television and Talking Heads weren't interested in going down that road at all. So there was a kind of sparseness about the guitar stuff, it was more staccato with space around it. That's something that those bands have in common. Where we diverge is (in) the funky side of things in the sense that Television and Talking Heads (early on) weren't in that area. Gang of Four was from the get-go. "

Witness the genius guitar of Andy Gill here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPJHQmJAiKA

And you can never get enough of Wilko Johnson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIya16hk-2sd

Cheers

Graham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPJHQmJAiKA