Re: (TV) Clinton Heylin interview from 2005

I don't care about his personality. I have enjoyed a few of his books, esp. FROM THE VELVETS TO THE VOIDOIDS.

--Phil

________________________________
From: Scott Simpson <SSimpson@nyc.rr.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:59:21 PM
Subject: RE: (TV) Clinton Heylin interview from 2005

I thought we hated Clinton Heylin?

Did I miss an email?

Scott Simpson

-----Original Message-----
From: tv-owner@obbard.com [mailto:tv-owner@obbard.com] On Behalf Of Phil
Obbard
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 7:28 PM
To: Marquee Moon Mailing List
Subject: (TV) Clinton Heylin interview from 2005

I just came across this interview, published shortly after the reprinting of
FROM THE VELVETS TO THE VOIDOIDS.

http://www.trakmarx.com/2005_03/08_velvet.htm

This part caught my attention:

trakMARX - Suicide were the first group to actively use the word 'Punk'
to describe their sound - yet they didn't really feature on the scene
until 1977. Who do you see as being the most realistic appropriator of
the term?

Heylin: Television were the first punk band - for a million reasons. But
people confuse the band that released Marquee Moon with the band that
invented punk. Next book I'll set 'em straight once and for all.

--Phil