Re: (TV) Listening to the Softboys, thinking of Television

On 5/4/07, grntg <grntg@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If Keith is not playing a late April fools joke...
>
> I received Underwater moonlight today and as I was
> listening to it (as everytime I listen to the early
> and late softboys) how superior they are to Robyn
> Hitchcock and, well especially, Katrina and the Waves.
> I think of Television as the same way re: Tom
> Verlaine and Richard Lloyd.  I love Tom and Richard's
> solo stuff, as I absolutely beleive that Robyn
> Hitchcock walks on water, however those solo songs,
> you know deep down that they would have been so much
> better with the band, Tom with Richard, Robyn with
> Kimberly and vice versa.

There's a lot to this, but I won't go that far.  Hitchcock and Verlain are
both among my favorite solo artists, too.   Hitchcock gets an edge for being
more varied and prolific in his solo work, but some of those lovely acoustic
records of his are just perfect as they are.  And his current band, with
Peter Buck, has a different, decidedly less Televisiony but still
compelling  guitar chemistry at work.

As for Tom's solo work, I rate Dream Time as the second best record he's put
out, including all the Television records.

I do wish the best for Richard and will be interested in hearing his Record
Whose Name Must Not Be Mentioned, but I've never been enthralled with his
solo records.  I feel like kind of a jerk to be the first one to say that,
but I feel like I'm not alone, and that everyone who agrees is kind of
remaining mum out of respect and shock.  Richard's contributions to other
artists' records and tours are sterling and invaluable, though, and I
respect him to no end.

-Rex