(TV) OT: Firefox is driving me nuts

I am getting pissed off at Firefox. FF2.0 is too damn slow on my admittedly
out to pasture laptop. Okay, but still, I have 256 MB of RAM, a Pentium 4
processor running at 1594 Mhz, Taskman says FF is using 59 MB of RAM, I have
1.96 GB (that's GB) of virtual mem left. Why is FF so Freakin slow ? I
rarely open up more than two tabs at a time, and when I do for instance if I
have Youtube on one and Google Mail on the other, I can't even compose mail.
I then frustratedly shut down FF and restart it. Do other listers have
similar problems with Firefox ? I have IE 7 on my system ( my wife likes it
better and I have to say she is right when she says it's faster on our
system). But I don't wish to go back to IE. I really like FF's extension
system and IE has nothing like it. I realize that extensions can be
problematic ,but I only use Forcast Fox, Fox Clocks, Sage, Faster Fox (
which evidently doesn't work very well ), and Ad Block.
Anyone have any ideas. I don't wish to abandon FF ,but if anyone uses a
different browser that is faster, has less overhead, I'd consider it.

thanks,
Russ