(TV) #4, Bobby Orr, Is a TV Fan / Lowdown on x-Boston Bruin, Joe Thor nton / Maurice 'The Rocket' Rickard / RE: O' Canada

Greg,

>Boston, you a Bruins fan?

No, but my younger brother used to have season
tickets when Bobby Orr and Derek Sanderson were
in their prime.

According to my brother---who sometimes forces
me to watch the Bruins  :>) when I'm at his
house--the owner of the team is quite content to
not invest any of his money in the team. (I think
the last time the Bruins won the Stanley Cup was
in 1972[?])  So, until the Boston hockey fans
smarten up and stop supporting the franchise in
large numbers, year-in-year out no matter what the
quality of the players, the owner will never spend
what is necessary to construct a championship
caliber team.

>.... and that trade to the San Jose Sharks really
>turned to bite you in the ass.

OK--So, do you want to know the lowdown---the
real Scoop on why the Boston Bruins traded young
Joe Thornton?!?  According to a guy from Lowell,
MA, who works in the Bruins' clubhouse, both
the Bruins manager and General Manager (Harry
Sinden) are hard-asses about loud music being
played in the clubhouse after games.

Despite being warned repeatedly, and fined
twice, Joe Thornton, not only constantly
blasted Verlaine's, "Cry Mercy, Judge" in the
locker room post game, but worse, would
sometimes even climb on top of the trainer's
table and shout out his analyses of the lyrics
of the album, "Adventure", or attempt to convert
his teammates to the band's cause.

It got so bad, that Bruins management brought
in a special Human Resources consultant, who
succeeded in convincing the legend himself,
Maurice 'The Rocket'/Rhyme Rickard, to fly in
to try and pound some sense into Thornton.

Maurice tried to convince Joe to trade-in
his boom box for an I-pod, but Maurice
wasn't his old persuasive self.  Fatherly
obligations and the Great Mash Up Contest
had taken a heavy toll--so, his closed-door
meeting with Joe lasted less than 20 minutes.
(But if ever there was a man born to be
'The Masher', it was Maurice Rickard in his
prime:  his razor sharp skates, his sticks
made from Tulip Poplar trees [also used as
timbers in mines]--and none of those
girly-man helmets for Maurice.)

So, Sinden killed two birds with one stone
by trading Joe Thornton to the Sharks:
the Bruin's avoided having to resign him
at a much higher salary as a 'free agent',
and they also got rid of a locker room
trouble-maker, which greatly helped to
improve the team's morale---until shortly
thereafter, when they went into a terrible
swoon and lost 11 out of their next
16 games.

>To stay on topic, who would Tom cheer
>for, the Rangers>or the Islanders?

That's easy----the Rangers, of course.
Tom goes way back with those guys. Back
in the late '70s, whenever Television
would play at Syncopation in Hartsdale,
NY, or My Father's Place in Roslyn, Long
Island, if the audience-turnout was small,
Tom would have the band play just one set.
Then he'd retire to the bar to watch the
Rangers on tv while downing Molson's and
Canadian club between smokes.

With every record label a let down
Every idol a bring down
It gets Tom down.
But his search for perfection
His own predilection
Goes on and on and on and on
(But still no album release).
Canadian club, Love
A place in the country
It's Tom's contract ideal.

>If one is a Sharks fan you are likely
>a >Canadian / Canadien / but not a leafs
>fan ex-patriate.

Greg, you succeeded in totally confusing
me, and making my brain hurt---I'll need
definitely need a non-hockey player to
explain that one to me. (I was torn out
by the roots and laid out to dry; my head
is spinning, my, oh my!