Re: (TV) Maybe OT: Is music less precious?

phil's comments were well put.  but using his analogy
re books -- books certainly are less precious now.
which is not to say they must be less appreciated.
and recordings are also less precious -- they are
simply so common -- so much is produced and
distributed, via traditional and non-traditional
means.  how "precious" is an mp3 file if you can
replace it in two seconds?

anyone who grew up on vinyl remembers how precious
those albums, eps and 45s were, the occassional
cassette.  and if you were like me -- growing up in an
isolated, small town -- recordings were *truly*
precious.  (old woman moments here as) i recall the
long wait for albums ordered by mail -- the forever
wait -- which would arrive hopelessly warped from the
texas heat.  and how very valuable each piece of vinyl
was, discovered by surprise in a record store.  the
highlight of any family vacation was always the chance
to go to a record store in some larger city --
candyman in santa fe (i bought "damned damned damned",
tower in l.a. or san franscisco (virgin prunes, sex
pistols, iggy pop).  and so from that context, for me
"adventure" has always been preferred, because i found
it first, and played it to death for at least two
years, until i found "marquee moon" in a used record
store.

and i'm sure i've told the story of how my mother --
bless her -- stood in my bedroom in a fit of storming
rage, ripped "adventure" and the first meat puppets 7"
off the cheap turntable, and smashed 'em to bits.  no,
i have not forgotten!  she might as well have been
throwing diamonds off a cliff.  i don't have the words
to express the horror i felt!

so i say that recordings are less precious.  but, i
don't think they are less appreciated by the minority
segment of the population who truly gets into music.
and overall i am seriously thrilled to live in a time
when i can have access to so much.  but as i sit in a
room filled with shelves of cds, i think, if this all
burned down, if i lost all this, i'd replace it all
over the internet.  never felt that way about albums.