(TV) Led Zeppelin

Now that we are all sharing our Led Zeppelin memories....I saw them at MSG in September 1970. This was when you could "rush the stage" there. I was 13 years old and stood right in front of Plant the entire show. What I remember most was that he had blue boots on with silver stars on them and  between songs kept telling the ushers in front to leave the kids alone. The music was loud and to my ears explosive and dynamic. I saw them again in 1975 (?) and then in '77. I also saw them at the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary show in 1988 when they reunited for a one off with Tony Thompson on drums. I always thought they degenerated musically after 1972 or so, but so of their stuff rocked after that. Obviously they became almost a parody of who they were in the beginning, and by 1977 they were a bloated carcass of what their original spirit was. That being said, Page is a great guitar player and while I don't care for any of his solo stuff his talent is obvious. I like Plant's solo stuff, and bought the new disc last night on the strength of one track I heard....it's a good disc. It's too easy to dismiss these types of acts for lack of the "cool" factor, but I still admire what they did and what they meant to my young ears. I'm a native NYer, so I saw all these kinds of bands before the shows became so big they became a joke. I lived at the Fillmore as a kid. It all got wacky for me when groups like Yes and the like were the rage. Thus my interest in the cooloer, downtown stuff. I saw TV in 1977 and all those other CBGB bands....and while it changed my perceptions of music to a large degree I still dig the opening riff to Kasmir and Heartbreaker by Zeppelin. maybe I'm just not that cool after all.