(TV) OT: Who are the Swans ?/ and Petra Haden

Just read an article about Michale Gira, a seemingly avante garde musician/artist of NYC I'd never heard of, and his band The Swans. Could the knowledgible out there speak on the Swans?

Also, has anyone heard Petra Handen ? She is a vocalist/violinist who recently did a completely accapella version of the Who's 'Sell Out' - just voice and over-dubs. Amazingly weird and compelling. I guess she's been around for awhile but I'd never heard of her. She also recently did an album with Bill Frisell.

- Russ