Re: (TV) (OT) Top 100 Irish albums

Keith Allison wrote:

In message <004f01c534b6$d1744f40$db1f90d4@joeslaptop>, Joe Thornton <joe.thornton@gmx.net> writes

Horslips? Wow, Keith, that's a blast from the distant past. They had real talent, but I feel that somehow they didn't find the groove they were seeking, straddling the worlds of rock and folk. So I doubt that any of their albums are worth tracking down, even if there were gems here and there...

"The Book Of Invasions" is definitely worth a listen.

"The Tain" is also pretty good, though probably not quite as good as "the Book of Invasions" - I have both amongst my neglected vinyl. There is, however, something of Jethro Tull about Hthem and (though I remain very fond of Horslips), for me, that isn't a good thing.

I'm right with Jay and his enthusiasm for Inflammable Material. I consider it to be a strong candidate for the very best debut album ever. If there was a special prize for the start of your debut album then it would certainly be a winner; if you can't imagine that blistering, nasty, nasty riff and Jake Burns' throaty shout at the start of Suspect Device then you *need* to go and spend the money and buy the album.

Its one of those albums I can play in my head. It's burned into my consciousness and it was one of the things that made me who I became. I was a 13 year old boy living in Northern Ireland when Inflammable Material came out (I'd already seen SLF by that point) and it provided me with a very compelling argument that *anger* was the appropriate response to the fucked up abnormality that they and I lived in. I wasn't the only person affected thus. Growing up where and when I did wasn't a lot of fun, but I feel privileged to have grown up with punk and to have seen the point made so powerfully that it's good to say that everything is a load of shit when everything is a load of shit.

Tangentially: it's a shame that John T. Davis's Shellshock Rock film isn't more widely available.

http://www.trakmarx.com/2004_04/05_shellshock.htm

Anyway, that;s enough from me for tonight.

take care

padraig