Re: (TV) woman-with-guitar sightings { > random thoughts}

I've been following this thread with interest--I ran a guitar store for seven years, and the amount of young girls that would come in and want to play guitar was dramatically outnumbered by the amount of young boys. The one thing that changes that, though, is idols. When Hole was top of the charts, we saw a huge rise in the amount of girls wanting to play and be Courtney.

I would venture to say that it's partially cultural, and partially the strange and arguable differences between the sexes. For instance, as a (n extremely) general rule I've noticed that women guitarists tend to be less aggressive, more melodic and more rhythmic--thinking about a larger picture than men, who tend to play harder, looser and are more solo oriented (as Frank Zappa noted in his bio, that's what got them BJ's).

I'm always totally turned on by women guitarists who don't necessarily do the witly-witly-woooo schtick. Couldn't stand Lita Ford for that--why try to prove that you're more male than the men? So, my faves are women who crafted unique sounds, or have a different take on it. My list would include quite a few of the already listed, but also:

Shannon Wright
Judie Sill--her sense of timing and rhythm was truly remarkable
Poison Ivy (Va-va-voom!)
Joan Jett (rhythm still counts!)
Ani di Franco (whom I actually don't like very much musically, but she's a great player, and I dig that she did her own thing with her label) I also loved the ladies of Frightwig way back when, although that was mostly attitude!

Thank goodness, though, the whispy-voiced, scrubbah-scrubbah strummy pseudo-folk singer with tender lyrics movement has seemed to mostly pass for now.

And, I'm sure I'll think of many others the second I send this!

Best,

Martin