(TV) Is nothing sacred?

>At first I thought of responding to this with something pithy and succinct,
>on the order of "bite me."

Hey Michael, consider yourself bitten!
No offense meant, really. I'm getting to be a cynical old crank, I've read too many columns by Robert Christgau and Greil Marcus, and hundreds of other bloviating critics, handing down this received wisdom about what makes the Dean's List,etc. and is therefore sacred and Important. I resist any move toward the academic approach of canonizing rock'n'roll songs. It's all for fun, and is essentially disposable - even the Velvet Underground, that's why they were so cool to begin with.
It's only (small T) television.
If the songs live and breathe, and jump off the turntable and can still move you, that's great!

Here's hoping Tom Verlaine will surprise us all and produce something-anything worth discussing, this year, soon.
Currently re-reading R. Hell's novel, 'Go Now' - highly recommended if you haven't read it; there's a little epiphany on every page.