(TV) Part 2 of 3: Disentangling the Three Different Sets of Televisio n Demos

Part 2 of 3

Demos I (i.e., Eno-produced) Continued:

Fact (A):

There were **6** songs done at the Eno demo session, and NOT 5
(nor 8) as several sources (including the almost infallible Heylin, who wrote
of only 5).  These 6 were:  1) Prove It; 2) Friction; 3) Venus De Milo;
4) Double Exposure; and 5) Marquee Moon.  (Did you ever hear the stereotype
of mathematicians, about how they can't count or balance their check books?)

And 6) Blank Generation.  From Hell's Official Bio on his Site:
 "**1975**  ... Decision becomes easy when Verlaine refuses to play any but
one ("Blank Generation") of Hell's songs on Brian Eno produced ***six-song***
demo for Island Records. .... Hell leaves Television. " (quoted exactly as it
appears, including the first word '1975' .

Evidence for Fact (A):
HELL interview by Bryan Swinsky for trakMARX :
BS: Are there any recordings of that specific era? Other than the
oft-bootlegged Brian Eno sessions?

HELL: The Eno sessions happened maybe a month before I quit. I'd already been
more or less squeezed out. There's **nothing of mine on that [Eno demo] tape
but a lame version of "Blank Generation." **

Fact (B):
Several sources claim that the version of "Blank Generation" on the various
versions of the commercial cd boots/cd-rs/vinyl boot, entitled "Double Exposure"
(and the other boots containing Eno demos, but with different title(s) ), is **NOT**
the 'Eno-demos' version, but it is instead is a 'live' version from CBGBs, 1975.
I belong to this school of thought (and I'm pretty sure Keith----at least as
regards the Carried Away cd-r and the commercial cd (No Label) (Italy),
No. DE-92-SC, released 1992).

Demos II:  The 'non-Eno-produced' demos
Fact A:
The 'non-Eno-produced' demos were produced by Television themselves
post-July 24-25-Piccadilly gig (probably as Carried Away site seed details
claims in August 1975).  There were at least 5 demos, and they were
recorded not in Terry Ork's loft, but in Patti Smith's (rehearsal) loft.
These demos were: 1) Hard On Love; 2) Fire Engine; 3) Friction;
4) I Don't Care; and 5) Little Johhny Jewel.

Evidence for Fact (A)  (Note: evidence for titles of demos is not as strong
as for the Eno-produced demos):
>From Heylin's book: "They borrowed a simple four-track recorder from the
Patti Smith Group's drummer, Jay Dee Daugherty, set it up in Patti Smith's
rehearsal loft and recorded several tracks for a possible 45. Of the songs
they recorded---which presumably included Hard On Love, Fire Engine,
Friction, and I Don't Care, all of which we're demoed at this time---the
seven-minute Little Johhny Jewel, which needed to be divided over both
sides of a 45rpm single, seemed a most incongruous choice for a debut single."

So from Parts 1 and 2 of my e-mails, it appears that the Carried Away
cd-r "Double Exposure" is as follows:  "Description: Must-have disc of
early material. Includes the 'Eno demos' [Leo suggests adding "late February
or early March 1975], the August 1975 demos, and live material from CBGBs
1975. 14 tracks."

1 Prove It **[Leo claims: Begin Eno-produced demos
from early March 1975]**
2 Friction
3 Venus De Milo
4 Double Exposure
5 Marquee Moon **[Leo claims: End Eno-produced demos
from early March 1975. Note Well: Demo of Blank Generation
not present.]**

6 Fire Engine  **[Leo claims: Begin tracks from
CBGBs' 1975 dateS ]**
7 Blank Generation  (sung by Richard Hell)
8 Double Exposure **[Leo claims: End tracks from
CBGBs' 1975 dateS ]**

9 Hard On Love  **[Leo claims: Begin August 1975
demos from Patti Smith's loft]**
10 Friction
11 Careful (Heylin: aka I Don't Care)
12 Prove It
13 Fire Engine
14 Little Johnny Jewel **[Leo claims: End August 1975
demos from Patti Smith's loft]**
 15 Breakin' In My Heart, Cleveland, The Piccadilly Inn,
July 25, 1975.
	Leo
PS: Although Part 3 is short, I must send it tomorrow so that I can watch my
beloved Red Sox.