(TV) Roxy Music / Eno Rant / Hell / Verlaine

Keith,

Not flaming here, just a trip down memory lane a little rant.

I got into Roxy Music backwards when I heard "Praire Rose" from
their Country Life album on the radio (great party-dancing song, or
one can enjoy it as a Ferry amalgamation of Jerry Hall and the Goethe
poem ).  The 1st time they ever played Boston was their 1974-Country
Life Tour (they were at Boston Garden in 72 or 73 as Jethro Tull's
warm-up act but that doesn't count).

Anyways, I was on some kind of 'stuff' when I saw during that tour at
Boston's Orpheum Theater---incredible show. The next day morning (make that
afternoon) I went out and bought all the their (and Ferry's solo) records.

OK, the first 2 albums and Ferry's cummerbund-ed, dissolute,
Weltschmertz-ian,  persona-----yeah I know I sound like I'm back on
that 'stuff'--were maybe more ground-breaking ("In Every Dreamhome
There Is A Heartache") than their later music. But Eno's god-awful Eno keyboard/synthesizer/treatments noodling totally ruined several of
the songs--such as "Virginia Plain" and "(Another Fine) Edition of You" .

Richard Hell and Eno actually have a fair amount in common:
both of their original bands became infinitely better musically after
they departed.

I also believe that Eno is one of the most overrated characters of the 20th
century (as a producer he's ok).  Moreover, he did not actually steal, but he
is given way, way too much credit for the "ambient sound" schtick he did
endlessly after Roxy.

According  to some guy named Verlaine [in his 1982 Warner Brs. Dreamtime
promotion interview], Eno was very heavily influenced by the 1960s group,
Can---- whom he never acknowledged or gave any credit.

	Leo