Re: (TV) Beware of Sales Pitches

--- karl@rockin-r.net wrote:
> Well, it's not Cleveland ("Hello Cleveland!"), but this looks like a likely
> candidate:
>
> http://www.columbusalive.com/1999/19991118/film1.html

To me, this always looked like a clear case of an interviewer who hadn't done
his homework. Here's the quote:

"Wincing at being the bearer of bad news, but wanting to relay information to
Verlaine, I told him I had heard a bootlegged cassette tape of a live club date
he'd done with Jimmy Rip. The friend who'd played it for me said that it was
readily available for purchase on the Internet."

Where were these for sale? I know copies of the film shows circulated on
cassette and CDR, but I *never* saw a copy for sale at *any* record store in
the Village (and at the time, c. 1999/2000, I visited the Village record stores
constantly, as I lived on Bleecker St). Not even Subterranean. If it was for
sale on the internet, where was it? Why wouldn't any of the 100+ members of
this list back then point this out, or publicize the availability of this show?

Perhaps it was a "stealth" release, like the new Television live CD... in other
words, it existed, but was impossible to purchase. Ha!

As far as I can tell, the interviewer is substituting hearsay for information.
The "wanting to relay information" bit is highly revealing - it's almost an
admission that the interviewer would rather bring Verlaine into his personal
confidences than worry about whether what he confides is true or not.

He could have just as easily written, with as much factual accuracy:

"Wincing at being the bearer of bad news, but wanting to relay information to
Verlaine, I told him I had heard of a videotape of him sunbathing nude in the
Hamptons during the summer of 1989. The friend who'd showed it to me said that
it was readily available for purchase on the Internet."

--Philip