(TV) OT: 24 Hour Party People

I thought it was a good, entertaining film. I saw it about two weeks ago with
my girlfriend, and we both (me being a rock fan, her being a house DJ) walked
away from the film with the same complaint: the second half was nowhere near
as good as the first -New Order totally got glossed over, where they were in
fact very important to the shift in the scene towards the more danceable
stuff. Instead, we had a whole lot of cheap laughs about the Happy Mondays
doing drugs, and then suddenly BAM! lots of people at the Hacienda with dance
music going on as the most popular thing on the scene and people getting shot
for various drug-related circumstances.

So yeah, the shift wasn't at all well-explained, and makes the film an almost
definite no-no for someone who isn't already aware of the history of the
Manchester scene from the late seventies up through the eighties and first
few years of the nineties. Still, I really enjoyed the overall tone of the
film: constant reminders that what we're watching a fictionalized account of
what went on. Granted, the joke about deleted scenes on the DVD was way too
forced (like internet jokes in sitcoms four years ago), but everything else
worked nicely. And the guy who played Ian Curtis seemed to be very
Curtis-like, based on everything I've ever read about the guy. Though it was
annoying that he just had a seizure out of the blue and then it, too, is
never explained...I guess by default we're all supposed to know he suffered
from epilepsy?

Bottom line: entertaining film. I'd advise most of you to wait for the
video/DVD release, because it's not great, but it's still quite good and
warrants at least one viewing.

-nick keiser