Re: (TV) Tom & his guitars

Talking about Tom and his guitars is one of the few
things that brings me from the lurk. My favourite "on
topic" subject.

My fave Tom guitar albums are flashlight and dreamtime
- I play a Jaguar myself and wonder why Tom has
recently stopped playing the Jaguar/Jazzmaster and is
renting guitars for shows. I always thought these
guitars were given a voice by Tom that other
guitarists didn't give them. I like the fact they are
the kind of embarassing relatives of the Tele and
Strat.  They are definetely harder guitars on the
whole to solo on, which I think is why guitarists got
for Tele's and strats - they are very lazy guitars to
play and bend so much easier. They also stay in tune a
lot better model to model than jags do. On my jag you
have to wrench the notes from it. It's a shed. But it
sounds ace.

Somebody mentioned that the Tom guitar on Ebay was
difficult to play also, with thick strings etc. i
think this is why Tom sounds so good on record and on
the live stuff. The little johnny on the blowup - you
can hear how thick those babies are he's ticklin'.

Folks on the list have sporadically been hinting (and
sometimes coming right out and saying it, in the case
of MTC a a while back) that Tom now sucks and Richard
rocks. The recent show reviews don't seem very
promising on the whole, although like everyone else I
try to be as optimistic as possible. I still hold Tom
in my mind as a demi-god who is chairman of the board
of fret, and i'm not one of these realists, i'm a
total sad fan and worshipper of Tom. But i suppose
rants like this are what the list is for.

But why has he stopped playing the jazzmaster? Did he
trade in his banger for a model with power steering
that doesn't hurt his wee fingies? I hope not. Maybe
he is skint and renting gear is the way forward. I
hope someone gives him/TV a record deal soon.

Back to lurking

=====