Re: (TV) major labels

--- Larry Holt <larryh@birminghamchamber.com> wrote:
> nick,
> run, don't walk to the record store and buy every
> Big Star title they have.

One clarification.  where you begin may make a
difference unless you are aware of stylistic
differences.  The first 2 records are available on a
single disc.  This is great power pop with a twist.
But there is no way you could predict #3
(sister/lovers) from listening to the first 2.  sister
lovers is more a solo chilton record.  it is a
difficult, depressing, beautiful fucked up mess of a
masterpiece.  It is unique the same way Marquee Moon
is unique.  It is like nothing else before it or after
it.

the bottom line: even if the first 2 records aren't
your cup, listen to sisterlovers.  The converse is
equally true.

Personally, I'd start with the first 2.  their
inexplicable commercial failure will explain the 3rd
on which Chilton sounds drunk, strung out and ready to die.

=====
Jay Pontrelli

"I got a bone to pick with capitalism and a few to break."

                                   --The Refused