Re: (TV) OT: Listening to anything new since the holidays?

I saw the first ever European gig by the Buttholes which took place in my home town. An unforgettable night. They were amazing. Loads of fast 1 and 2 minute songs. A coachload of us went to London a couple of weeks later to see them again........they seemed a completely different band. They must have done tons of acid and the whole set was stretched out trippy jams. Everyone was saying how amazing they were except for the coachload of Newport people who were trying their best not to be elitist or smug but saying how they sucked compared to a couple of weeks earlier. I saw them about 3 further times but they were never the same as that first gig. Would have loved to have seen them play in Texas with the Big Boys and the Dicks.That first gig also took place only about a week after I saw Husker Du for the first time......happy days!
I reckon any of the vinyl prior to the live album is worth getting.

Didn't the Buttholes once stalk Michael Stipe and either steal or set fire to his van?

From: DAYKARAK@aol.com
To: <tv@obbard.com>
Subject: Re: (TV) OT: Listening to anything new since the holidays?
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 18:12:13 EST

>Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:18:31 -0800
>From: "Russ Van Rooy" <russvr@blarg.net>
>Subject: Re: (TV) OT: Listening to anything new since >the holidays?
>
>Butthole Surfers - Electriclarryland (1996) These >guys are great ! Very
>psychedelic in parts.

Geh. They're really not as good as they used to be. WAY too much beat/sampling stuff going on these days; if you love Electriclarryland, you'll like their new one, Weird Revolution, but if you want to hear some REALLY weird, psyched/cracked-out sounding stuff, I'd reccomend picking up Locust Abortion Technician and their debut 12" EP (original issue s/t, reissuse called Brown Reason to Live; still in-print on Alternative Tentacles). Those two recordings basically confirm everything about that Michael Azzerads' book _Our Band Could Be Your Life_ says about lead singer Gibby Haynes' drug intake over the years...but they're still good fun. Especially in the case of the debut: how can you NOT like a recording that starts off with a squeal of feedback followed by Haynes yelling "There's a time to fuck/and a time to crave/but the Shah sleeps in Lee Harvey's graaaaaave!"?

(more serious list members: please don't answer that!) ;)

-nick keiser