Re: (TV) laurie anderson

--- Brian Young <raggedglory57@hotmail.com> wrote:
> C.Girl, I'll weigh in-  she and PJ Harvey are my
> two favorite women artists,
ginchy -- i know she's regarded as being pretentious
and "out there" in some circles, but i also know she
was regarded by some as being an important part of
"the scene" around the same time as television (though
in a different way).  i wasn't sure which camp the
marquee moonies would be in, since y'all can be such
no-bullshit types.  :)

> and she puts on a hell of a show.  I've seen her
> several times, once at Sanders Theatre, too.
she does put on a helluva show, though this was not
anything like her usual panalopy of theatrics a la
_home of the brave_ -- this was just her and a band,
and she told some funny stories and sang songs old and
new.  the first tune was from the new record and was
set around lower manhattan (don't have _life on a
string_ so i don't know if this was rewritten, though
apparently she has been singing "freedom is a scary
thing, so precious" instead of the line on the record)
and was chilling, minor-key and had a plodding tempo,
and felt very mournful.  she also performed "o
superman", and hearing that in a church so soon after
the world trade center bombings felt good --
acknowledging what happened and trying to have a good
humour about it.  the show was very cathartic in that
way.

--chelsea

=====
"when it comes to big openings,