Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:28:45 +0100
Subject: television view

Television: the look the same, just older, greyer and rounder (aside from Tom).

They played ALOT from the first album (surprise! surprise!), not so much
from the second, and fair few from the third.  They also played Mr Lee,
which is my earliest recollection of Television (sorry, did I age you by
several years then?!).  They are GREAT musicians, though Fred Smith is very
much from the school bass players who just stand there not doing much
physically except playing the bass.

Richard and Tom are amazing guitar players, and it was fantastic to be
right up front.  I know I said that they seemed unrehearsed, but thats not
the way they SOUNDED.  Incredibly tight, funky even in parts, and just
downright extraordinary overall.  Practice and rehearsals would make
attendance at their concerts essential, even if that is pretty much already
the case.

 From an unrehearsed point of view, Tom and Richard (particularly Tom) were
having to tune their guitars between songs, they left the stage after
having played Marquee Moon, to then return to play......damn.......what was
it.....can't think.....and then realise that was all they could do as the
curfew had been reached :((

Go see them Caryn - I thoroughly recommend it, and get on the front fence,
like I did!

Expect reports and more from the Marriott show, and thanks again for the
heads up on the Television gig :)))

Simon, aged 27.

also i thought i'd point out that there's an interview with hilly kristal
on spin.com that mentions tv specifically several times & is probably
worth reading:

http://www.spin.com/new/daily/news/20010413-1.html

and dammit i feel old today.
rip joey.