Re: (TV) What CDs are you listenin' to at the office?

I've been repetitively listening the the new godspeed you black emperor! disc, _lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven_. Very impressive, deeply moving and affecting, and there's that section starting around 18 minutes into the first track on disc 2 where the hip-hop-ish drumming kicks in like the sun breaking through the clouds. Very good live show, too.

Continuing that kick, I've also been listening to the GYBE-spinoff A Silver Mt. Zion's _He Has Left Us Alone But Sometimes Shafts of Light Grace the Corner of Our Rooms_, a more minimal chamber-ensemble set of pieces.

I also recently picked up the new Shellac, _1000 Hurts_, which is...very well recorded. Can't say that the songs are engaging me yet, but the playing's really tight.

On a recent trip, I picked up _Everybody Loves a History_, a biography of Wire. That combined with hearing Mike Watt cover "The 15th" last month has sent be back through my Wire vinyl, rediscovering the pleasures on _Pink Flag_, _Chairs Missing_, and _154_. ("Outdoor Miner," "French Film, Blurred," "Another the Letter," "The 15th," "Map Ref...," "Single K.O." and others...) I hadn't listened to them in years, but I'm struck by how deeply embedded some of it is in my musical sensibility, particularly 154. I'm also filling the gaps in my collection of Wire spinoffs: I just found Domes 3 and 4 (3 is really engaging noise) and I'm currently listening to the reissue of Colin Newman's _A-Z_ which replaces my battered cassette copy. Sonic period qualities aside, all of it really holds up well.

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/