Re: (TV) Orr

Re:  the Cars not knowing or caring for Television's music - there was a big
difference in the Cap'n Swing sound (kind of like a garage band version of
Steely Dan - Cap'n Swing played at my college radio station, WERS, and at
the Newbury St. fair) and the stripped down sound you can hear on the demos
included with the Rhino deluxe first album reissue.  "Little Johnny Jewel"
came out in between those two incarnations and I'm sure there was an impact.
    Though people tend to dismiss them as candy pop now, the Cars gave a lot
back.  On their first national headlining tour, they insisted on local bands
opening for them, brought Suicide to the unsuspecting masses, and Ric
produced I don't know how many demo tapes and 45s.  Since Television never
achieved that level of success, it's unfair to wonder if Verlaine, et al,
would have done the same...but I never saw, say, David Byrne do anything of
the same magnitude.