Re: (TV) Whammy bars, leases, etc

Where were you guys playing?

The Hip are huge in Canada and have consistently
released an album every second year.  Each release has
me saying "this sucks" on first listen but pulls me
back for a second, third time, etc.  Then it becomes
an obsessive pleasure where it is the only thing I
will listen to for a couple of months.  Other Hip fans
have had the same experience.  They also re-invent
there sound for each release so it is always fresh.
I'm surprised to hear they never made it in the States
(especially their album Fully Completly or Trouble at
the Henhouse) as they were quite popular in North
Dakota the two years I lived there but then again,
North Dakota isn't New York, LA or any of the major
centres and they pick up Canadian radio so perhaps
that is where the popularity came from.

Two last Hip comments then I will shut-up: Live,
despite having two guitarists, they rarely have a
guitar solo.  The singer has a running commentary
about God knows what in place of the solo.  It sounds
stupid in print but live, his commentary is phrased so
well that it is like hearing a killer guitar solo.  A
fairy unique use of spoken word.

Two: They played at the last Woodstock so I figured
they were pretty popular.  Perhaps they were on a
secondary stage but the radio that broadcast it up
here made it sound like they were the headliners :-)

Has anyone heard of Matthew Good from Canada.
Excellent hard rock musician but he feels he is far
too talented to play to us "praire folk" in
Saskatchewan (5 minutes after saying this someone
pelted him in the head with a shoe and he walked off
the stage.  Despite a lot of arrogance, he may be
right.

Greg