Re: [(TV) harry smiths]

I haven't heard the Harry Smiths disc yet, but I will -- Johansen's another
personal favorite.  I've seen the Harry Smiths a few times, and I taped a live
show off local radio, so I have a fairly good idea what they're all about.
One of Johansen's strong points has always been finding good cover songs and
making them his own.  There were always complaints about how few originals
show up on the Dolls' 2nd lp, but I think that the non-originals are
highlights.  The live Harry Smiths gigs even feature a few Dolls-related
tunes, done up in an old-timey style (Don't Start Me Talkin', Pills, even
Lookin' for a Kiss).

There's an interesting interview with Johansen in, of all things, Stereophile
magazine.  (I guess because the Harry Smiths CD is on an audiophile label, and
was recorded live in a church.)  He sounds like a bright guy.  Worth browsing
in your local Tower Records.

- Jeff