Re: (TV) Hell v. Lloyd

> designed, and his own clothes which he designed that largely influenced
> the British Punk Rock Movement.

Sorry Michael, but I don't really agree with you there. I think this
idea largely comes from Malcolm McLaren overstating his own
importance in relation to the Dolls, the Sex Pistols and UK punk
and to Richard Hell overstating his own importance.

There was a British TV documentary on punk a few years back
where Richard made this claim, followed by a neat edit to John
Lydon's riposte, which was basically "What a load of hogwash ... "
followed by the usual Lydon tirade.

If you look at pictures of the Bromley Contingent, the original Sex
Pistols fans, of which I was on the fringes, you'll see we took our
ideas mainly from glam rock, gay and tranvestite fashion, rubber
and fetish wear, the film Cabaret and so on. Everybody had their
own look.

New York, and what Richard Hell supposedly invented, (torn
clothes and safety pins?) never came into it. As far as I remember
we knew virtually nothing about New York and cared even less.

Apart from the Dolls we hadn't heard any music. Nor had we seen
many photos. A couple in the NME maybe. And for the major part
we didn't buy clothes from Malcom's shop. They were too bloody
expensive. Though it was always worth trying to steal something.

I'm not trying to start a NY vs London war, nor put Hell down, but
the influence of NY on London was minimal to the point of being
non-existent. I think we developed in our own little vacumn with our
peculiar British reference points. Which is also why the music
sounds completely different.

Cliff