From: "Casey, Leo J" <CaseyL@volpe.dot.gov>
To: "'tv@obbard.com'" <tv@obbard.com>
Subject: RE: [(TV) Tell A Vision ]/Little J J/ ..... Don't Go to My head
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 08:46:44 -0500

Jeff,

What I was trying to say was that the name "Television" (originally) was probably not intentionally selected by Richard Hell because of its inherent play on words/double meaning, i.e., "tell a vision" My guess is that for Hell, at least, the name fit in with the whole image and persona he had at the time. The name "Television" may have been an early example of punk bands deliberately choosing to name themselves after ubiquitous "ordinary" /"ugly" objects, as another way of separating themselves from an earlier generation of bands, many of whose names had been chosen with great care or for marketing purposes.

I am familiar with the lyrics of "Little Johnny Jewel", but as you know it was written at least a year after the group chose the moniker, "Television", for themselves. I was also attempting to imply that the "tell a vision" aspect of the band's songs applied to almost their entire overve----not just LJJ.

Re: "Put on those headphones" & your question "Now in 'Elevation,' do they ever really say "Television, don't go to my head"?

According to Ms Secret X, in a posting some time ago, Tom had very ambivalent feelings about making it to the big time, and this is reflected, for instance, in the way he enunciates some of the lyrics to 'Elevation': "...Elevation don't go to my head. Television don't go to my head." It's subtle but it's there.

By the way, any opinions by anyone on Siouxie and the Banshees' cover of LJJ? I like their Looking Glass album of covers ("The Passenger", the Roxy Music cover whose title escapes me at the moment, "Wheels of Fire" by Brian Auger and the Trinity[??], and others) including LJJ-- but of course it can't touch the original.

		Leo